Monday, June 28, 2010

Interview with Brendan Synnott, CEO of Bear Naked Granola

Brendan Synnott is the founder and former CEO of Bear Naked Granola, the #1 Granola company in the country. He has been featured in the news multiple times and also was a participant on the show Survivor. He is currently the Chief Marketing Officer for the brand EVOL burritos. Here is my interview with him:

-What was your childhood like? Were you always interested in business?
i started selling candy on the side of the street when i was about 10 years old. from there i sold candy from locker in middle school, then made gear for my high school sports teams and started a car washing business in high school. i've always had that entrepreneurial bug. not so much about making money, but making money my way.

-What was your greatest business idea and what inspired it?
since bear naked was my greatest success, i've have to say starting a granola company. what inspired it was my own experience. i had been exposed to healthy eating by my grandfather who had heart problems. rather than have surgury, he opted to eat better. i learned from him the importance of what you eat. because of that awareness in food, i never understood why someone would put artificial substances in their body. i looked up and down that giant cereal aisle in the grocery store and saw nothing but processed and artificial offerings. i believed, and still believe, that consumers are now just beginning to take control of their health... and their first avenue to wellness will be natural and organic food products. they are better for the planet and the people.

-What jobs have you held before and do you believe they prepared you for your current career?
everyone job prepares for your career for two main reasons.
1. you learn skills... and all skills are valuable to someone.
2. you learn about people... you realize who and what you want to for.

i worked at a laundry mat, video rental store, bond brokerage, digital media company, Saturday Night Live, Trilogy Software.

-How would you describe your personality/habits and how would you say they have contributed to your business success?
i am a perfectionist when it comes to projects that create value. I notice everything. I try to listen and watch details so I can learn. I am extremely competitive. I hate losing and love winning. Not to say I'm a sore loser, but I never forget a loss.


-Are there any books/movies/experiences that influenced your outlook on life/business and if so, how?
Richard Branson is a personal hero. I loved his book "Losing My Virginity"

-What would you say is the best piece of advice you ever got?
Do what you love.

-What do you enjoy doing when you’re not working?
Playing. Anything outside and preferable solar powered.

-What do you want to be remembered for?
Breaking rules that unlock value.

No comments:

Post a Comment